History of the Old Church
The building in Smithers affectionately known as “The Old Church” was built in 1913 as the St. James’ Anglican Church in 1913. Sitting on the corner of King St. and First Avenue, St. James’ Church and its hall became a spiritual and community centre for the growing village.
After the parish of St. James moved to its new home on Princess St. in 1975, the original parish church building was left unused and suffered disrepair and neglect.
In 2005, thanks to the dedication and vision of a dynamic group of volunteers, the building was renovated and resurrected for use as a community assembly and recital centre and given the moniker “The Old Church”. Since 2005, the Old Church has been administered by the BV Museum.
Renting the Old Church
The Old Church is available for rental as a site for events such as musical performances, seminars, lectures, theatre, dance classes, weddings and birthday parties and more.
The Old Church can accommodate up to 80 people and comes with a fully equipped Northern Health certified kitchen. Available amenities include tables and chairs, upright piano, sound system, two washrooms (one accessible), and a screen and projector system. Wireless internet is generously donated by Four Dimensions Computer Centre Ltd.
The current rental fee is $30 per hour (minimum 2 hours) + $25 cleaning fee. For full fee information, including full day and evening rates, as well as deposit information and pricing for additional amenities please click here to view a copy of the Old Church Rental Policy. An overview of the equipment available with an Old Church rental can be found here.
BV Museum Newsletters
- The Museum is generously supported by many local community businesses and associations. For a full list visit the About section of our website. Thank you to all of our community supporters!